felting, natural dyeing tutorials, learn to felt step by step beginners experienced feltmakers

Thursday, November 25, 2010

More dye experiments

Next to my market stall at the Port Douglas market, there is a tree that intrigued me. It dropped beautiful red leaves as well as yellow and green leaves at about 6 months ago. So I decided to do eco print samples with the green leaves and the red ones, of course, hoping that I would get a beautiful red. I know it doesn't work like that though. I don't know the name of the tree but someone told me it is called dead horse tree. I cannot find a tree named like that, so it is probably some local common name. The name comes from the fact that the blossoms smell like a dead animal. Anyway, I show the results of my dyeing here, I did them 6 months ago and they have become darker since. The photos are taken a few days ago. I haven't added any iron, just alum.

red leaves

green leaves

green leaves and lemon

As I said, the colours were very pale in the beginning and they gradually became darker. I have seen that more with the eco dyeing. I have it with another piece, I will make photos and post it as well.

No comments:


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs