felting, natural dyeing tutorials, learn to felt step by step beginners experienced feltmakers

Friday, April 17, 2009

Artist Focus - Botanical Jewelry from Tabmade

This week I have chosen to feature Lori from TabMade, an etsy artist who has found her inspiration in nature and translates this in her own way into beautiful botanical jewelry.

Lori explains the story about the name TabMade:

My name is Lori Phillips. Tab has become a nickname for me from a shortened user name I used to use, ThrowABomb. (from a super old extinct email, throwabomb [!at] mystupidschool(dot)com. yeah, I said it was old, haha) Good online friends started calling me Tab and it just stuck, hence TabMade.

I spotted her some time ago on etsy and, being a lover of form and texture myself, I am blown away about her work.

Waxing Botanicals

Primarily a ceramist, she is passionate about working in a variety of media other than just clay such as silver, copper, polymer clay, and fibers. She is most stimulated artistically while finding ways for these materials to work together in one piece, and she does this mainly by making jewelry. She recently obtained her BFA in ceramics from Eastern Kentucky University.

Lori says:

Closely observing the direction I have taken in my artwork over the past couple of years has made me more aware of my interest in the natural world, such as organics and botany. This in turn has made me more aware of the direction I want to continue in with my work in all mediums.

I am mostly inspired by plant and fungal life, especially of the exotic variety. I like to make objects that directly reference nature, but are not necessarily found in nature, although I wish they did. I love growing things and have begun an interesting variety of house plants, and the process of nurturing them and watching them grow and change I find visually exciting and inspiring. I enjoy discovering new textures and inspecting unusual things growing in nature, or inspecting things seemingly ordinary up close until they appear unusual.

Necklace of Flora and Botany

She has been delving into a new medium recently, polymer clay, because she loves it and there is no need for kilns or torches to work with it.

Her future plans are to acquire a kiln to continue her ceramics, and torches to continue metalsmithing and lampwork,

She hopes to earn enough money from her Etsy shop to save for these things and expand the variety in her shop. Her ceramics work, which ranges from hand built pottery to sculptural pieces, still remains her first love.

Missing Autumn felted and ceramic necklace

Check out her shop: http://tabmade.etsy.com

and keep track of what new work she is coming up with on her blog: http://tabmade.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow, thank you so much for featuring me! You did an awesome job! :D

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs